[tei-council] signed/list

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 20 11:37:24 EST 2011

On 20/11/11 12:51, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I dont think we're actually disagreeing much. the issue is whether
> <signed>  is limited to one name at a time. If its NOT, then we arguably need
> things like<list>  in it. If its essentially limited to being a  single name,
> then its<name role="signed">?

In rereading this thread, looking at the examples in the Guidelines and
elsewhere I believe that the intention of <signed> is to function both
as a phrase and as a block level element. In this way it is very much
like <list> itself, which can be inline in a pararaph, or a sibling to a
paragraph.  <signed> can be a sibling to a paragraph (at the bottom of a
div) and is joined in model.divBottom with <trailer>, <closer>, and
This is because <postscript> is sort of like a <div> in that it can
contain paragraphs (and thus things like <list> which appear between
paragraphs) whereas the others are like things which appear inside

The current content models, ignoring attribute classes, are:

signed: macro.phraseSeq
trailer: macro.phraseSeq
    macro.phraseSeq=(text|model.gLike|model.phrase|model.global)*
closer: (text|model.gLike|model.phrase|model.global|signed|dateline|salute)*
postscript: ((model.common)|(model.global))*

allow it to group them. This, and the examples, encourages me in my
conclusion that we have intended <signed> to function either as
surrounding a single signature or as a signature block containing the
closing salutation text as well as the signature. Partly because of
this, and partly because of the examples given, I find the argument for
including list (or model.listLike) generally persuasive.

Although I'm loathe to recommend further opening the floodgates of
bizarre stuff that is allowed in inappropriate places, the only
difference between the content model of a paragraph, and that of
allows model.inter (which has elements which appear either within or
between paragraphs, like lists).

macro.phraseSeq=(text|model.gLike|model.phrase|model.global)*
macro.paraContent=(text|model.gLike|model.phrase|model.global|model.inter)*

If we changed <signed> and <trailer>'s content model to
macro.ParaContent this would allow <list> there, and have no
backwards-compatibility implications. We could change <closer> to be the
same but with signed|dateline|salute as it currently has. I'd recommend
changing both <signed> and <trailer> in tandem for consistency between
elements in model.divBottom but I could be argued out of that.

However, I'd suggest that we explain that <signed> can be used both as a
single signature and as a block containing salutation text and
signature(s), but that the better encoding is to use <closer> with
<salute> for the salutation text if possible. Both its description and
discussion in the prose of the Guidelines should make this clear.

My two pence,

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev