[tei-council] signed/list

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 20 07:35:24 EST 2011

I think you're imposing a semantics which is purely to do with
rendering. That's not how they thought in the Olden Days.

The Colburn example is a strong argument for what I have been proposing
-- that there is a semantic distinction between the "H Colburn" part and
the "I remain" part, which the tagging represents by marking the latter
as the salute, and the former as the signature.  I can't find the
original, so I cannot confirm whether or not the distinction is also
typographic as you surmise.

There are some much better examples of <closer> at
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/DS.html#DSOC

In the Robert Green example you cite in another message:
p>.... erites of my Saiuour to whom I commend thee, and commit
      my soule.</p>
   <signed>Thy repentant husband for his disloyaltie,
      <name>Robert Greene.</name>
   </signed>
I agree that the salutation/signature distinction is not made (or made
in a different way). Whether this is out of laziness on the part of the
encoder, or out of a desire to show there is more than one way to do it,
I don't know, but I don't think it has much to do with the formatting of
the original. As a matter of fact, looking at the original which I just
happen to have handy, the Greene example is set as a block,
typographically marked off from the rest because it's not in black
letter and it is right aligned. It occupies two lines, broken in the
middle of the word "disloyaltie" with a hyphen. No trace of that in this
encoding either.