[tei-council] signed/list

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 20 06:52:58 EST 2011

if we went down the lines Lou is thinking, that <signed> actually becomes  a rather special
form of <name> wrapper, we don't actually make

<signed>Thy repentant husband for his disloyaltie, Robert Greene. </signed>

illegal, but we make it impossible for the text to be upgraded automatically
to the semantics of the guidelines.

In fact that example is encoded:

     my soule.</p>
  <signed>Thy repentant husband for his disloyaltie,
     <name>Robert Greene.</name>
  </signed>
  <epigraph xml:lang="la">
  </epigraph>

which gets us into more trouble. if only Robert Greene should
be wrapped in <signed>, where does the repentant husband go?
A <closer> would wrap the signed and the epigraph, surely? oh no,
<epigraph> cant go inside <closer>..
(don't get me started on why there is a <p> inside <epigraph> there....)

My perusal of http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/examples-signed.html
continues to suggest to me that <signed> is used in the Guidelines
a special form of <p>, not as a special form of <seg>, which is why
I suggest the change of content model.
--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente