[tei-council] Further correction to the Genetic stuff

Pierazzo, Elena elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
Sun Nov 13 11:49:42 EST 2011

Hi All,

Sorry I am a bit late on this, but I have a few more corrections for the Genetic stuff: I mentioned that to Lou and I told him I would have let him have then soon, but I thought to email the council as some of them might be non uncontroversial. I have already told Lou my correction on the first half of the material, these are the one on the second

 1.  I was supposed to provide an example of an opening with zone going across: attached (I also have an SVG version of this in case it is useful, let me know). The colours of the zone correspond to different times: pink then green then red. I also have a transcription of this example, but it is a it brutal: Lou let me know if you need it and what exactly and I'll try to edit it a bit. The image comes from http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b6000131k/f64.image.r=fonds+proust+NAF+16686.langFR The use is free for non commercial uses so far I can see, but some of them that understand better copyright should have a look at it.
 2.  http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5-Documentation/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Guidelines-web/en/html/PH.html#transpo first paragraph: "By definition the result of a transposition is not present in the document, and should not therefore be encoded, if the intention is to record its actual state." -> "if the intention is to encode the appereance of the document".
 3.  http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5-Documentation/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Guidelines-web/en/html/PH.html#alter a better caption is needed for the image: "Thomas More, _Lalla Rook_
 4.  Same section: I had a discussion with Brett about the use of <alt /> and he mentioned his perplexities about it, namely the use of  @mode and the @weights. In the example there the @mode represent an editorial statement  that the alternatives pointed by @target were not intended to live together, I.e. The author did not intend to leave the two variants together in the final version; similarly the @weights attribute here express that  the second option is the preferred one as we happen not know that the author eventually chose the second option. I think some explanation like this (written in abetter an clearer English) should be provided together with the example and possibly some correction to the definition of <alt/> and its attributes is needed.
 5.  http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5-Documentation/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Guidelines-web/en/html/PH.html#instant a better caption is needed. Something like W.Whitman, The sleepers… Brett, I don't remember which of the version this represent. The definition is also very bad, can the size be fixed?
 6.  Same section: the last paragraph before the XML example: "To indicate that the first of these acts must have taken place before the others, we might encode this revision campaign as follows:" -> "To indicate that the first of these acts must have taken place at the same time of the main act of writing and before that any other written material was supplied on its right…" or similar as here the point is not that it was done before, but at the time of writing
 7.  http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5-Documentation/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Guidelines-web/en/html/PH.html#PH-changes the paragraph starting with "Each change element, apart from declaring a distinct change…": I think the sentence "either by pointing from the change attribute target to one or more elements" should be clarified. I propose "either by pointing from the target attribute of change to one or more elements"
 8.  In the Change discussion I cannot see any example where there are alternatives, I.e. Two alternative chronologies or similar. This was one of the requirement of the whole change section, so we should have a system and an example. I can find an example but I need to know how this will be handled.

That's all for the moment: I'm getting in touch with Gregor about the Faust example that does not make any sense to me (I.e. The last on the Change section).

Ciao
Elena

________________________________
Dr Elena Pierazzo