[tei-council] permit <hi> in <formula>?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 12 11:24:33 EST 2011

On 12/11/11 16:00, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2011, at 15:46, Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>> It would be convenient to expand this to include model.hiLike since
>> formulae often include things like "superscript x" for values of x for
>> which no character exists in Unicode (and there quite a few of them).
>> <hi rend="superscript">x</hi>  though verbose is a bit easier to remember
>> than&#xABCD; for most values of ABCD
>
> I'd have some doubts about that, and want someone like David
> Carlisle to comment. If you want to do maths, use MathML
> (or TeX) - trying to mimic the presentation using (the equivalent of)
> CSS is not going to get you very far.

*Is* there anyone like David Carlisle? But anyway, the use case here
(which is a real one, involving real Norwegians) is not trad maths but
arbitrary funny looking formulae in mathematical logic. I will ask them
if they grok TeX or MathMl, but don't expect to get a polite response.

>> charName : rng:text
> its a formal name a la Unicode, so thats right

yes, good point. i agree that most of these are defined as either
NCNAMEs or unicode strings, so should not change.

Which leaves only