[tei-council] P5 use of rend in examples

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 12 11:05:43 EST 2011

On 12 Nov 2011, at 15:55, Lou Burnard wrote:

> By the way, I just remembered that the last time we had this argument
> (or one quite like it) we agreed to introduce @rendition and <rendition>
>  specifically to enable rendition values unequivocably based on CSS.
> How come you chaps aren't recommending we use that all over the
> guidelines?

I was going to say that to Martin, actually. we should have more examples
of rendition, perhaps. My view was simply that if a name exists in the CSS
vocabulary, lets use it.

> To answer Martin -- because there is a difference between our practice
> in the Glines, and the practice of other projects which we may cite in them.

but that comes back to the points that

  a) most of our markup is NOT cited from other projects (it would however
be no bad thing to have more extended examples which _were_ so
cited)

  b) the average reader (ie "people like us", say Martin and Sebastian)
does not grok this sublety, cos we have no visible notation to
indicate it.
--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente