[tei-council] sp/table, arising from ECCO

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Fri Nov 11 16:48:49 EST 2011

>> you can imagine a speech where someone reads out a list?

> Of course. As we mentioned in our discussion, there's the shipping
> forecast, the football results, the list of products involved in a
> product recall, and any number of other such examples.

I cannot find any at the moment (since my editor has locked up
and frozen the computer--probably hit its quota of 10,000 regex
search/replaces per day...) but

(1) it's always a mistake to think of <sp> occurring only in
plays. There are lots and lots of things that use dramatic
conventions with little or no connection to actual drama.
E.g. very commonly, catechisms

   <sp>
   <speaker>Teacher</speaker>
   </sp>
   <sp>
   <speaker>Pupil</speaker>
   <list>
   <item>1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.</item>
   <item>2. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God
     in vain.</item>
   * * *
   </list>
   </sp>

   I have also had the pleasure of editing treatises devoted to
   double-entry book-keeping and to ballistics, in just this
   kind of dramatic form, in which 'speeches' contained not
   only lists but tabular ledgers, mathematics, and ballistic
   diagrams.

(within <sp>) in such circumstances.

pfs