[tei-council] minutes/release deadline

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 06:42:27 EST 2011

I think this part of the minutes, while it may represent what we said,
is not what we meant.

"LB: Take the single canonical example of a leaf: the size of a leaf on
one side is the same as its side on the other. Therefore we should allow
a default coordinate system on <surfaceGrp>. The group consensus now is
that <surfaceGrp> should replace <patch>; it covers both the use case of
<patch> and other cases such as four-sided monuments or leaves;
<surfaceGrp> is a child of <surface>, and <surface> is its child;
<surfaceGrp> needs to be able to express its location and size within
the coordinate space of its parent <surface>, assuming it has a parent
<surface>."

Firstly, we definitely agreed that a <surfaceGrp> should NOT have the
ability to define a coordinate space, because if the surfaceGrp is
flippable (like a leaf) then ipso facto, the coordinates on the recto
cannot be the same as those on the verso.

Secondly, I think we mostly talked about <surface> (rather than
<surfaceGrp>) as replacing <patch>. Since a bunch of surfaces can also
be linked together physically (as in a leaf, or a bunch of postits) then
a patch might also be represented by a <surfaceGrp> but not necessarily
-- e.g. in the case we currently discuss ( bits of newspaper pasted down
on the page), they have only one surface.