[tei-council] Finishing off an existing ticket

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Nov 4 14:08:02 EDT 2011

Back in August, I committed to making all the necessary changes to
implement @sortKey on a range of elements where it's not yet available,
as described in this ticket:

<http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3393989>

I'd like to get this one cleared up now. It's slightly more complicated
than I had anticipated, so I'm running the steps by you just in case you
spot anything silly. This is what I intend to do:

1. Create att.sortable.xml, defining:

<classSpec xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0" module="tei" type="atts"
ident="att.sortable">
[...]
</classSpec>

Note that I'm placing this in the tei module, because its usage is so
wide. I propose to take the attribute definition and examples from
term.xml, which has a local attribute @sortKey, including some
additional information from att.entryLike, which also defines @sortKey.
The objective is to unify all @sortKey attributes.

2. Remove @sortKey from att.entryLike, which removes the attribute from
entry, entryFree, and superEntry.

3. Make entry, entryFree, and superEntry members of att.sortable, to
replace @sortKey on those elements.

4. Remove the local @sortKey from term.xml, and make it a member of
att.sortable.

5. Add the following elements to att.sortable:

         item, bibl, biblStruct, biblFull, person personGrp, place, org,
msDesc, idno, witness, relation, relationGrp, event, nym;

         list, listBibl, listWit, listOrg, listEvent, listPerson,
listPlace, listNym

    (The second set are included because they can be nested inside
themselves.)

This should have the effect of unifying the two existing @sortKey
attributes (for term and the entry family) and replacing them with a
single attribute class to which all listed elements above area also
added, providing a single @sortKey in the tei module.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)