[tei-council] Budget and Cost Saving for next year

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Nov 2 12:25:43 EDT 2011

I'm rather unwilling to contemplate the loss of xpointer. I found this
suggestion that it's possible to implement xpointer handling in XSLT:

<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2878239&group_id=29872&atid=776728>

However, the library has disappeared from the location mentioned. The
Wikipedia page links to two implementations, one Java:

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/cweb/>

and a .NET implementation:

<http://mvp-xml.sourceforge.net/xinclude/>

On 11-11-02 08:46 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2011, at 15:40, Piotr Bański wrote:
>
>> How exhilaratingly cruel... Announcing their potential deprecation could
>> be a way to poll the community for how much they are needed.
>>
> yes, that would be a good action.
>
>> The functionality behind them *is* needed, and would have to be recast
>> as individual attributes (@from, @to, ... many, I'm afraid, and in need
>> of discussion and standardization).
>
> so if they  are needed, but don't work anywhere, how do people manage
> today? I am tempted to say that if you have survived 10 years without
> an implementation, spending money on it now may be a luxury?
>
> I think it could actually be better to recast the stuff in pure TEI, actually,
> to avoid the impression that some software somewhere is going to implement it.
> --
> Stormageddon Rahtz
> Head of Information and Support Group
> Oxford University Computing Services