[tei-council] Order, order (was re: layers again)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Oct 18 08:22:33 EDT 2011

I can see the need for @ordered="time:ascending" in cases where it's
possible to distinguish the sequence of changes, but impossible to
assign specific times to them through e.g. @when.

However, @order="alphabetical" or @order="complexity:descending" don't
really make sense to me; neither alphabetical nor complexity ordering
cannot be intrinsic to the document creation/revision that the encoding
is trying to capture, so they're in effect editorial decisions, and
could in any case be achieved through XSLT processing (assuming
"complexity" can be quantified). I can only see the need for ordering to
be significant in cases where it captures something about the revision
campaigns (or whatever) which cannot be captured existing attributes.

I am, like James, looking forward to having @target on <change> for my
non-genetic purposes, though. Since we're revising <change>, is there
anything else we'd like to fix or add that doesn't necessarily relate
directly to the genetic module?

One thing I've sometimes done is to capture a set of changes that take
place in one session like this:

<change when="2011-10-17" who="#mdh">
   <list>
     <item>[...]</item>
     <item>[...]</item>
     <item>[...]</item>
   </list>
</change>

None of the examples in the Guidelines shows this kind of usage. Would
we now be enouraging this instead?

<change when="2011-10-17" who="#mdh">
   <revisionDesc>
     <change>[...]</change>