[tei-council] Licensing - final wording

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 17:21:57 EDT 2011

On 11/10/11 09:46, Laurent Romary wrote:
>> where are you thinking this will appear? what text would it replace? the TEI Guidelines source
>> would need a more formal specification, with multiple<license>  elements.
>
> At this stage, I want to stabilize the policy and have it approved by board.
> We'll need implementation guidelines for it, for sure.

For the record, I was assuming that this (after iterations of
improvement) would appear on the website page about Licensing and
citation.  Prose like this might also be included in generated files but
that, as you say probably need to actually contain the licenses... or at
least reference them clearly.

>> I still think this misses the point of dual-licensing, which is that the _user_ makes
>> the decision, not us. So the licensing depends on _their_ needs and situation,
>> not our interpretation of them.
> That's what the text says, doesn"t it?

It was the intent to express that the decision is made by the user
according to his use of the material.

>> But this is just prose, what the heck. What actually goes in the files?

Do we include both licenses in every output, or a general statement
(such as this) which points to the licenses (and the licensing and
citation page on the website)? In the CC world you certainly don't
include the license with every object, you reference it, or the common
CC deed which stands in for the more complex legalese.

If we can agree a proposal to the Board then we can implement that in a
way that makes sense for the various objects. Unless you're saying the
details of that need to be threshed out before the Board approves the
dual-license (and these two licenses) concept.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,
OUCS, University of Oxford