[tei-council] agenda items

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Mon Oct 3 10:52:43 EDT 2011

On 10/3/2011 4:53 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> 3) discussion of changes to the membership model (30 minutes)
>> 4) discussion of TEI priorities for the coming year (30 minutes)
>
> will not the members expect a report on the planned TEI priorities
> from their Board and Council, so that they can agree, disagree,
> and add their own? there must be some more structure to both
> of these, surely. otherwise presented like this, it looks defensive
> and unplanned.

I find (3) ambiguous, so I would reword to either:

a) discussion of possible changes to the membership model (30 minutes)

b) discussion of proposed changes to the membership model (30 minutes)

That is, (a) implies that you want to have a discussion of this
question, whereas (b) implies that the Board has already reached a
decision and is simply reporting it to the rest of us.  (I hope that
what you intend is (a) since otherwise it looks silly that Board and
Council candidates gave their opinion on a matter that's already decided!)

> quite often in the past the Council reported on what it had achieved
> during the year, FWIW

That's true, but this was also a bad use of time, in my opinion.  Once a
year we manage to gather most of the TEI's stakeholders in a single room
and all we do is report on what has already happened.  We could use this
opportunity to get community input, which seems to be exactly what John
has in mind.