[tei-council] P5 source, modifying class atts at the base level.

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 30 06:03:59 EDT 2011

On 30/09/11 10:13, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> James and I met this last night again.
>
> look at<abbr>. instead of being a member of att.typed, it defines its own
> @type attribute, because it wants to supply a<valList>.  What one would like
> to do is say<attDef mode="change" ident="type">  inside the original source
> of P5. We can't do that now, because the processing does not support it at all,
> but in general, do people believe that it _should_ work?

I believe Sebastian knows my opinion about this but I will re-iterate it
here. (I think I've mentioned it before ages ago when discussing how ODD
works.)

When I look through the TEI's list of attributes and find multiple
locally defined attributes of the same name I wonder to myself "Why
aren't these in a class". In almost every case I could find it is
because the <desc>, <remarks>, or <valList> is changed. e.g. @type on
<list> suggests things like bulleted, gloss, whereas att.typed of course
does no such thing. Having to define attributes locally to change a
couple words of their description (to make them more specific to that
particular element) is a failure of the class system. (Well, more
accurately I think the class system allows us not to do this but our
current processing doesn't.)

In my project ODD I can override whatever the attribute class provides
me for any specific element.  I do not think this should be different
for the base TEI ODD itself.

In that world the tei module would define, as it does, the att.typed
class.  The elementSpec for list would say "I'm a member of att.typed"
by which it would gain @type and @subtype.  Then it would delete
@subtype (list doesn't have @subtype), and customise the valList of
@type to suggest values like ordered/bulleted/gloss. This way the same
customization mechanism that is used in project ODDs is used in the base
TEI ODD itself.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev