[tei-council] Fwd: [tei-board] licensing issues

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 12:43:53 EDT 2011

On 28 Sep 2011, at 17:37, Lou Burnard wrote:

> Thank you yes. The point of my question was precisely to ask what we
> hope to achieve by licencing our material. If we're not trying to get
> money out of it, and we don't require acknowledgment, and we don't care
> what people do with it, then why are we putting a licence on it at all?

My view is that we'd _like_ acknowledgement, out of academic good practice and courtesy,
and we'd likely hold people up to peer-group shame if they took
TEI and didn't mention it. So the BSD phrasing gives us a structure in which to express
that peer-group shaming, which is far as I can imagine us going.

We _could_  just put it all in the public domain (CC0). Fine by me.

By the way, don't forget that we can reverse this decision for any future release.
We'd not binding our successors to keep using it for P6.
--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group

Sólo le pido a Dios