[tei-council] Fwd: [tei-board] licensing issues

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Sep 28 12:21:47 EDT 2011

On 11-09-28 08:32 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> I'm all in favour of simplicity, and disentangling what ODD deliberately
> tangles surely cannot be a good idea. But all the more reason to insist
> on  precision as to what we are claiming or not claiming.
>
> Just as a wild hypothesis, suppose some other international agency  were
> to produce something called a "standard for linguistic annotation"
> consisting of a whole bunch of recommendations for encoding things in
> XML, using identical gis and content models clearly derived from the
> TEI, though perhaps with some minor modifications, but which made
> absolutely no reference to or acknowledgment of the fact Would this
> licence (note spelling) enable us to sue their bottoms off?

Given that the TEI has so little income, and is even contemplating
having less or none at all, the fact is that we're never going to sue
anyone, ever. But the main point of permissive licensing is that there's
no reason for anyone to need to steal our stuff; they can take it and do
what they like with it, and good luck to them. If someone creates a
standard which is pretty much like TEI but a bit different, and it
becomes successful, then what we have is really a fork. Even if they
didn't acknowledge the source of their work (and why would they not?),
it would be obvious to everyone and widely commented on. The most likely
reason for a fork is that the TEI becomes perceived as being inflexible
and unresponsive, or going in the wrong direction; in which case a fork
is not a bad thing.

This is the sort of thing that happened with HTML5, and after some years
of negotiation, it looks as though the forkers and the W3C are coming to
an accommodation which should give us one new standard instead of several.

> (This is of course a purely nuts-and-port speculation as Piotr and
> Laurent will agree.)
>

> On 28/09/11 16:08, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> I am with Martin here. A very simple license across the board seems the only sustainable way forward.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 28 Sep 2011, at 16:07, "Martin Holmes"<mholmes at uvic.ca>   wrote:
>>
>>> I must admit I don't really understand the reasoning here. Schemas can
>>> be derived from ODDs, and ODDs (presumably) from schemas; documentation
>>> is tied directly into schemas by the generation process, and the
>>> Guidelines consist of documentation knitted together with explanatory
>>> prose. The whole seems to me to be inextricably tangled, which is as it
>>> should be, and I see no reason why some parts should be licensed
>>> differently from others.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Martin

>>> --
>>> Martin Holmes
>>> University of Victoria Humanities Computing and Media Centre
>>> (mholmes at uvic.ca)

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)