[tei-council] Fwd: [tei-board] licensing issues

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 08:03:25 EDT 2011

On 28 Sep 2011, at 12:51, Lou Burnard wrote:

> Compromise is good tho,  isnt it?

I think you're confusing good compromise from bad compromise.
If you need help deciding which is which, I can advise.

> Actually, it;s better than that. As far as I can judge from some other
> Board correspondence on the topic -- unattributably copied below -- the
> Board is waiting for a decision from the Council.

so which of you three were going to convey this to Council, I wonder? never mind.

I think there is confusion here. George wants permission to alter the current
schemas he has in oxygen, as a one-off, to make himself legal. This has no
affect on future schemas, which George reasonably expects us to issue with
a new licence (now that the problem has surfaced). I asked JU to take
executive action, and grant him that one-off licence. I assume thats what the Board
debated (possibly not in the right context).

My sense of the discussion here is that a reasonable number of us are in favour of
a very simple, very liberal, BSD 2-clause licence for all TEI stuff which the Consortium
produces.  Would anyone vote against that? can I put it up as a strawman proposal
to see if anyone objects?
--
Stormageddon Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group