[tei-council] support for P4

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 06:39:39 EDT 2011

Back in June Council mostly seemed to agree that the timetable I
laid out below was sensible for de-emphasising TEI P4 a year
before we stop supporting it in November 2012.

In the next week or so I was going to post a message to TEI-L
explaining that from November 2011 we'll be de-emphasising TEI P4
on the website in preparation for its lack of support from
November 2012. I was going to include a surveymonkey survey at
the same time allowing feedback from the community to gauge the
strength of their dependence on or desire for support of TEI P4.
(As well as gather some other data.)

Questions that occur to me to include in this survey are below,
but if Council has any other suggestions, or corrections, let me
know in the next few days.

====
Do you have projects still using TEI P4 that need support?
- I have active and ongoing projects using TEI P4 which will not
migrate to TEI P5
- I have active and ongoing projects using TEI P4 but I may
migrate these to TEI P5
- I continue to support legacy projects using TEI P4 which I
might migrate to TEI P5
- I continue to support legacy projects using TEI P4 which I
won't migrate to TEI P5
- I have legacy TEI P4 projects, but they need little support
- I have migrated any TEI P4 projects to TEI P5
- I have no TEI P4 projects needing support

How much should the TEI-C begin de-emphasise TEI P4 on the
website before November 2012?
- It should only be available from the TEI Vault and not
mentioned elsewhere
- It should only be available from the TEI Vault but existing
links redirected
- It should be available from the TEI Vault but seamlessly
mirrored in its current location
- It should not be moved to the Vault but remain where it is

Should search engines be dissuaded from indexing TEI P4?
- TEI P4 should not be indexed and links to it not followed
- TEI P4 should not be indexed
- TEI P4 should continue to be indexed
- TEI P4 should continue to be indexed and links to it followed

Have you used TEI P5 for a project?
- Yes
- No
- I'm about to

How many TEI P4 projects do you have?
- 0
- 1
- 2-5
- 6-15
- 16-30
- more than 30

How many TEI P5 projects do you have?
- 0
- 1
- 2-5
- 6-15
- 16-30
- more than 30

Have you submitted a Bug or Feature Request to the TEI?
- I have submitted both Bugs and Feature Requests directly on
Sourceforge
- I have submitted either a Bug or a Feature Request directly on
Sourceforge
- I have submitted either a Bug or a Feature Request via a TEI
Council member or other individual
- I have contributed to discussions on TEI-L which have informed
Bug or Feature Requests
- I have not contributed a Bug or Feature Request but intend to
- I have not contributed a Bug or Feature Request
- What are Bugs or Feature Requests?
====

Suggestions appreciated.

-James