[tei-council] update from the TEI Tite task force: comments on 2 tickets by October 1

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Mon Sep 19 16:41:58 EDT 2011

On 9/19/2011 1:36 PM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 19/09/11 17:25, Lou Burnard wrote:
>> Hear hear. Not least because of its lack of a TEI Header -- which makes
>> it arguably non-TEI-conformant anyway.
>
> Is there any argument about that? If it breaks the TEI Abstract
> Model, it is not TEI-conformant.  The argument might be whether
> it was 'Conformable' or not, but I don't think it can be since it
> includes no metadata and the TEI Abstract Model requires metadata.

Tite never directly claims to be TEI-conformant (according to the
definition of conformance in P5), but the introduction to Tite contain
this sentence:

"Tite-encoded documents are TEI documents, and TEI Tite, with the
exception of convenience elements (b, i, ul, sup, sub, smcap, cols  and
ornament, all of which can be converted back to canonical TEI), is a
pure subset of the TEI." (a)

The Tite spec later says:

"Tite omits the <teiHeader> element as a convenience to transcribers.
This departs from normal TEI practice, which requires <TEI>  as the root
element, containing <teiHeader> and text  elements. In order to bring a
document encoded in TEI Tite into adherence with the TEI abstract model,
projects should add a teiHeader before engaging in post-transcription
processing." (b)

I thought about revising (a) but decided it wasn't necessary in light of
(b).

But since this is a continuing point of contention within Council, I
think I'd better.  Once Lou replies on a point of clarification on his
last suggested edits, I'll revise (a) to the following:

"Tite uses a subset of TEI elements, except for a few renamed for
convenience of use by vendors.  However, Tite is not a TEI-conformant
customization since it breaks the TEI Abstract Model by omitting teiHeader."

--Kevin