[tei-council] @key to be deprecated?

Stuart A. Yeates syeates at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:09:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:49 AM, James Cummings
<James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 19/09/11 16:12, Martin Holmes wrote:
>>> I'll play devil's advocate on this. I think using URIs (in the
>>> form of URNs), even just locally constructed ones like
>>> foo:blort:1234 is a much better system than just bare keys which
>>> are just as much magic.
>>
>> Isn't foo:blort:1234 just magic too? If I've understood the proposal
>> correctly, foo: and blort: don't resolve to anything meaningful; isn't
>> foo:blort:1234 just a magic key that happens to have colons in it?
>
> Yes, that is what I meant be 'just as much magic'. They are both
> magic. However, the URN-style magic key is a faceted one. (I know
> you could just make your @key value do this as well.)

The URN-style magic key is also a standardized magic that someone who
knows XML / web standards but is new to the TEI will be able to grok
without having to pore over the TEI standard. From an interoperability
point of view, that looks like a clear win to me.

cheers
stuart