[tei-council] @key to be deprecated?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Sep 19 11:12:39 EDT 2011

Hi James,

On 11-09-19 06:52 AM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 19/09/11 13:47, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> I would argue strongly against dropping @key. Would anyone argue in favour?
>>
>> I think if we do discuss it, it should be from the point of view of
>> settling on a more detailed set of recommendations on how to use it
>> (along the lines of the methods proposed by Sebastian and Kevin).
>
> I'll play devil's advocate on this. I think using URIs (in the
> form of URNs), even just locally constructed ones like
> foo:blort:1234 is a much better system than just bare keys which
> are just as much magic.

Isn't foo:blort:1234 just magic too? If I've understood the proposal
correctly, foo: and blort: don't resolve to anything meaningful; isn't
foo:blort:1234 just a magic key that happens to have colons in it?

> The only reasons I can think of for using
> data.key for this kind of thing is ease of input. (Which then I
> would post-process to a more specific URN or a URL depending on
> use-case). What are some good reasons maintaining @key?

Backward-compatibility is the obvious one.

> However, there are some caveats to that... @key has been around
> for quite some time and I know is being used significantly in the
> wild. Either a long period of warning before deprecation is
> needed, or it would be something for P6. (Which, btw, I still
> argue we have committed in TCW09 to *not* moving to except in the
> emergence of new technologies (e.g. SGML to XML) or a major new
> architectural/infrastructural change.)

In that case, we're going to have an escalating tension between the
Birnbaum doctrine and the need to clean up problems in P5 (like this
one, perhaps, if you see it as a problem).

> I would also agree with Martin that more detailed recommendations
> are needed. One of the most frequent errors I notice are people
> doing things like: ref="foo" where there is not a file 'foo' (or
> even foo.xml), but where 'foo' is an xml:id not in their current
> document but in a document relating to the kind of element it is
> on.  So<persName ref="foo">Mr Foo</persName>  gets changed in
> their processing to be<persName
> ref="files/over/there/people.xml#foo">Mr Foo</persName>  (or more
> likely the processing just understands that and creates the
> output using the information).  The more we can dissuade people
> from this, the better. And better/more documentation of it is
> probably the first step.

You actually caught me doing that (inadvertently) in an early version of
the Image Markup Tool, IIRC. And I agree that's completely wrong when
using @ref; but I would argue that's why @key is helpful. When you're
still working out the structure of your repository and the relative
locations of files and subcollections, not having to be precise about
the path to a particular @xml:id is very handy. And if you get rid of
@key, people are just going to use @n for the same job, I bet.