[tei-council] update from the TEI Tite task force: comments on 2 tickets by October 1

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sun Sep 18 14:24:56 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

Here's an update on the work of the task force that Laurent charged with
aligning the TEI Tite schema maintained by Council (and hosted on
tei-c.org) with that in use by Apex CoVantage in the AccessTEI program.
  Recall that the task force members are:

* Perry Trolard (author of Tite and representative of the Mellon-funded
project that created Tite)
* Greg Spurlock (of Apex CoVantage)
* Kevin Hawkins (of the TEI Council)

I've copied Perry and Greg on this message for their information, but
please remember that they won't receive messages sent only to
tei-council and likewise can't post to the list themselves.

= What has happened so far =

Lou rewrote the Tite ODD so that it excludes rather than deletes
elements.  Furthermore, we have fixed a number of obvious errors in Tite
which were noticed as AccessTEI was established but which never got made
in SourceForge.

That is, the following ticket have been implemented:

a) rewriting ODD and removing a bunch of unnecessary elements and
attributes:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3136934&group_id=106328&atid=644062

b) adding <handShift/>:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3164403&group_id=106328&atid=644065

In addition, I added some context to the introduction of Tite,
copyedited the appendix comparing it to the Best Practices for TEI in
Libraries, and updated <docDate> to reflect all of the major changes
made since May 2009:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3285804&group_id=106328&atid=644065

http://tei.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tei/trunk/P5/Exemplars/tei_tite.odd?r1=8813&r2=9325

= What's next =

*I would like Council members to revisit these two tickets*:

c) adding <add> and <del>:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3136935&group_id=106328&atid=644065

d) adding @facs to <pb/>:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3136936&group_id=106328&atid=644065

For (c) and (d), apparently Lou produced some notes in February 2010
that provide the basis for changes to the prose to accompany these
schema changes.  If someone can find these, we will save ourselves time
in redoing this work.

Since Laurent's general mode of operation in Council is that we should
ask for objections to proposals and otherwise implement them, please
make the comments in these tickets before 1 October; otherwise, I will
implement these, which will bring the two versions of Tite into near
perfect alignment.

= Additional changes to make =

The other bug reports and feature requests in the Tite category
SourceForge are about things that I detected in both canonical Tite on
tei-c.org and in the Apex Tite documentation.  I'd like to continue
postponing action on these until we've acted on the things above.

Thanks,

Kevin