[tei-council] @key to be deprecated?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Sep 16 11:22:43 EDT 2011

Thanks for finding this, Kevin. The idea of deprecating @key, and
leaving us without an attribute with the datatype data.key (excepting
@lemma), is a bit worrying to me. This is the issue I'm dealing with:

Imagine you have this kind of folder structure:

data /
      people /
      places /
             countries /
             rivers /
      documents /

where TEI documents exist at every level of the structure. Then let's
say that inside "countries" you have britain.xml, with a bunch of
<place> elements, of which one is <place xml:id="london">.

Now let's imagine you have documents all over the place which need to
link to this xml:id. You could do this:

<ref target="../places/countries/britain.xml#london">

However, each document which contains a link may have a different
relative path to get to the britain.xml file; and any of these documents
may move around in the structure, as you reorganize your data,
invalidating the links. data.pointer, as far as I understand it, should
really be an accurate pointer to the resource, but in the context of a
loosely-structured XML collection, that may not be possible as paths
will change. However, within the context of (say) an eXist database,
it's perfectly possible to find what you're searching for using a
data.key which consists of the @xml:id of the target.

Therefore, if the proposal to deprecate @key is still alive, I'd like to
address it and, if possible, kill it. I think @key is the best solution
to this kind of loose linking.