[tei-council] Fwd: TEI licensing issues

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 08:32:31 EDT 2011

On 13/09/11 21:38, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> People like OSS watch can advise us of the best license _if_ we
> have a clear idea about what we want to achieve. They cant advise us
> on BSD vs GPL, cos "it all depends".

I think I'm wanting to be a bit more open than the general
consensus in the discussion so far.  I would characterise my
preference as not wanting to stop any commercial or
non-commercial (re-)use of TEI materials/software and also
minimizing additional barriers (like needing reproduce license
statements) in the way of people (re-)using TEI
materials/software. I, like Piotr I think, worry about the TEI-C
needing to endorse whether (re-)use of something is 'proper' or
not. We don't need specific licensing to cover whether people are
claiming the TEI-C has endorsed their product when it
hasn't...there are existing legal solutions for that kind of thing.

I do not think that the TEI needs to force acknowledgement that
it is being used through legal methods...to me that is a social
problem which the community should help address by making it
clearly the norm to badge (or otherwise describe) things as using
TEI. If we decide attribution really is desirable, then I'm
flexible on that, I just view it as an additional barrier to use.
(Though only in a legal sense, not a practical sense as many
would just ignore that requirement.)  I would actively resist
wanting make any TEI licensing even more viral/hereditary as in
GPL or CC+SA kinds of ways, or similarly with anything that
limits derivative use.

For the record, I think that the choice of CC+BY+ND for jTEI, and
specifically that an article's copyright seems to be vested in
the TEI Consortium rather than the original authors was a
mistake. (I would have been happier with CC+BY with copyright
vested in the author, that would not prevent the TEI-C doing what
it needs to do.) However, I'm assuming that the licensing of jTEI
is off the table for the current discussions and it is just
guidelines/other-websites/software/schemas/other-outputs that
we're concerned with.

My two pence,
-James

--