[tei-council] Fwd: TEI licensing issues

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 16:38:14 EDT 2011

On 13 Sep 2011, at 21:18, Martin Holmes wrote.

> I'd be very interested to know why they advised GPL over BSD -- did they
> give any reasoning? It would be good to know whether those reasons are
> still relevant.

the brief  from the TEIC was that they wanted protection against
the thing being taken up and commercialized, so we (OSS Watch)
recommended GPL as the best protection, of the licenses available
at that time. The familiar arguments which Piotr has just rehearsed.

That was, I think, 9 years ago (I could be wrong); OSS Watch started in 2003,
and this was in our early days. Were you there when it was discussed, Stuart?

People like OSS watch can advise us of the best license _if_ we
have a clear idea about what we want to achieve. They cant advise us
on BSD vs GPL, cos "it all depends".
Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios