[tei-council] Fwd: TEI licensing issues

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Tue Sep 13 08:56:19 EDT 2011

On 13/09/11 14:43, Martin Holmes wrote:
>  > 1. Glad I've found this essay, only scanned it so far:
>  >
>  > http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html
>
> This is very interesting -- thanks for finding it.
>
> In our case, is it really possible to separate "software" from
> whatever-the-rest-is? The Guidelines are really a mix of the two.

I think this is a grey area, still very much unexplored (but pretty much
abused, I'm sure). This also pertains to the status of XML as such, and
within XML, the status of XML instances vs. XML schemas, and within XML
instances, the status of documents vs. databases and the question
whether you can ever draw a clear distinction between them.

> I'm wondering now about a BSD licence for everything, rather than CC.

I'm thinking in this direction too.

  P.