[tei-council] Genetic Proposals

Pierazzo, Elena elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 08:59:04 EDT 2011

Hi All,

On 05/09/2011 18:49, "Lou Burnard" <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>I've just updated the HTML draft at
>http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw21.html to include
>all the wording (etc) changes agreed so far following Brett's very
>helpful close reading.
>
>Several major issues still remain unresolved though. Inter alia:
>
>1. What's the name of the elephant? (I am currently liking <source>)

<sourceDocument>

>2. What shall we call <layers>, <layer>  and  @layer?

<changeSet>

>3. Do we need both <block> and <zone>?

I have to confess I'm a bit nervous of having two different elements, as I
said before I think <zone> is the only one we need. Think, for instance of
areas which are a mixture of texts and graphics (doodles and the like)
followed and preceded by areas with only text or areas with only graphics.
So, some will be zones, some blocks some well be arbitrarily one or the
other. Modern manuscripts are a mess and it is very difficult to
distinguish one or another, this is why we decided not to have an
intermediate level, because it would require too much interpretation and
editorial assumptions, so please let's have only <zone>. If coordinates
are necessary, I don't see this becoming a big problem, they can be there.
I never claimed that we didn't want them, I just asked if they were
necessary.

>4. Please can we have some more, simpler, and clearer examples?
I promise to look into it.

>5. What price transposition?
I don't understand the question...
Elena