[tei-council] Mime types and "Mandatory when applicable"?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 31 11:13:03 EDT 2011

Might be good to add this to the ticket, then.

On the issue of mime types for XML fragments, this 1999 posting makes
some interesting points:

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/1999OctDec/0080.html>

Basically it suggests that there are two kinds of XML fragments, one of
which can legitimately be served as text/xml, and the other of which
cannot have a mime type. An most interestingly, it appears that the
"mandatory" issue was already raised in the context of XSLT and CSS
stylesheets linked into XML documents through processing instructions:

[quote]
 > However, the XSLT recommendation has an example stylesheet-linking PI,
 > which specifies "text/xml" for an XML fragment.  Although James Clark
 > agrees that fragments do not have media types, he was not able to
 > remove "text/xml" from this example, since the "type" pseduo attribute
 > is required by another recommendation "Associating Style Sheets with
 > XML documents".

i.e. http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/

My recollection is that type="..." is advisory: it helps user agents
optimize for the case that they don't know the relevant media type,
so they can skip fetching the thing. So it would be odd for it
to be mandatory. But sure enough! it is:

=======
The following pseudo attributes are defined

href CDATA #REQUIRED
type CDATA #REQUIRED
title CDATA #IMPLIED
media CDATA #IMPLIED
charset CDATA #IMPLIED
alternate (yes|no) "no"

The semantics of the pseudo-attributes are exactly as with <LINK
REL="stylesheet"> in HTML 4.0
=======

I wonder why it's mandatory.
[/quote]

Personally, I think for @mimeType we perhaps need a formulation along
the lines of:

"Use of this attribute is recommended in any case where the mime type of
the target resource can be reliably determined. In some cases (such as
the case of some XML fragments), it may not be possible to determine a
mime type."

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)