[tei-council] <licence>

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 26 12:40:42 EDT 2011

On 26/08/11 16:45, Martin Holmes wrote:
> Welcome to our world. I stare pretty much all day everyday at US
> spellings, especially in programming languages. :-) But it's not really
> US vs British; it's US vs British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand,
> lots of Africa, India, and many other places too numerous to mention,
> isn't it? I think we probably outnumber you. ;-)
>
> We could go for<lic>  instead, but Merriam-Webster lists "licence" as a
> variant of "license", so I don't think it's too painful, is it?

I think this was one of the reasons for settling on <licence>, as
a noun it has indeed also been used in US English as well as the
rest of the word. 'license' in many other places is only used as
a verb.

However, it is worth remembering that TEI element names are not
English words in themselves even when sometimes they have been
created from them.

I'd still vote for <licence> as a balance between clarity and
confusion.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,