[tei-council] Mime types and "Mandatory when applicable"?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Aug 26 11:21:39 EDT 2011

I'm looking to finish up this ticket:

<http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3113682>

which adds att.internetMedia to <ptr> and <ref> (done), and updates the
guidelines accordingly (not yet done). @mimeType would clearly be an
optional attribute, but in att.internetMedia it's defined as "mandatory
when applicable". I realize that although I've seen this many times, I
have no idea what it means. Given this, for instance:

	<ref target="blah.xml"/>

it's clear that @mimeType is "applicable" -- you could use it:

	<ref target="blah.xml" mimeType="application/xml" />

but surely we're not insisting that people use it for all links like
this? So does this mean that "mandatory if applicable" is not the case
for <ptr> and <ref>, and if so, do we need to change the definition of
@mimeType?

Also, I wonder what mime type could/should be applied to fragment targets:

<ptr

target="http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointer/#xpointer(id('chum')/quote)"/>

Any ideas?

Martin Holmes