[tei-council] <licence>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Aug 22 12:36:05 EDT 2011

On 11-08-22 04:02 AM, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> And it's usual practice (at least with some licenses) to include both a
> pointer to the official license text or code, and some text explaining
> the nature of the license as it applies to the current publication.
> (With a CC-BY-* license, for example, we both point to the CC license
> code, and say to whom or what institution any copy or adaptation of the
> content should be attributed, any exceptions to the license, etc.)
>
> Some license text, of the kind that you might want to reproduce/compose
> in the teiHeader, would naturally be multiparagraph, so my feeling is it
> would be artificial to shoehorn it into a single paragraph-like block.

I'm coming round to this view. If someone, for instance, had written
their own idiosyncratic licence, which was not reliably available at a
specific URL, they would need to include the whole text of it; so I
think <p> and friends should be available inside <licence>.

However, I don't believe that we should be making <licence> available
inside <p>; that would make it available almost anywhere in the
document, which will inevitably lead to its appearing in unexpected
places, and make automated processing of it less practical.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)