[tei-council] span span span span span span span span glorious span

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 22 07:51:32 EDT 2011

I wonder if the reason we're having this debate is because we're
confusing two levels of interpretation which should be distinguished?

I am thinking about <del> and chums in the context *only* of manuscripts
and other objects which don't have any XML markup natively in them. When
we add the <del> we are identifying acts of deletion expressed in other
ways.  So in Gaby's excellent example

<persName>Joannis Priskos<delSpan spanTo="#a"/>III</persName>,
of<placeName>the
Tauric<anchor xml:id="#a"/>  Chersonese</placeName>

the problem is that the <persName> and <placeName> markup belong to a
different layer of interpretation from the <delSpan>. If we had some
mechanism for doing so, we'd want to be able to say that the
</placeName> should magically be transformed into a </persName> after
the application of the deletion. Suppose (as I suggested earlier) the
manuscript had some defined set of conventions for distinguishing names
of persons from those of places, say colour of ink. The conscientious
scribe making the deletion would presumably in that situation want to
indicate that the colour of ink used for Chersonese was now wrong -- and
might even do so by retracing it in a different colour!

I dn't have a practical solution to offer I'm afraid, other than to
enunmerate clearly the limitations and problems implicit in using
@spanTo. Maybe Syd was right and it just is more trouble than it's worth.