[tei-council] span span span span span span span span glorious span

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Aug 19 12:21:54 EDT 2011

On 11-08-19 09:12 AM, James Cummings wrote:

>> On the last question, I think there are two possible ways to mark up the
>> text. Your example implies that the paragraph break is also deleted:

>> whereas if the intention was to delete only the text fragments and leave
>> the paragraph boundary intact, there would be two deletions:

> I don't think that is strictly true.  I was envisioning this as
> the last blah of the first paragraph and the first blah of the
> second paragraph being deleted by a single line that crossed
> diagonally through both of them. To me (and I'm guessing a
> genetic editing mind) this would be a single deletion. I still
> think the markup is recording the deletion, and that if this were
> from a transcription people deleting things with a pencil don't
> expect the paragraphs to close up as they do in a word processor.
> (But I'm probably wrong.)

That's a bit counter-intuitive to me -- I think if your strikeout
explicitly crosses the paragraph boundary in a single stroke, you
probably mean to delete the boundary too. But these are issues of
interpretation. Perhaps we need to illustrate all three scenarios:

1. Two distinct deletions, leaving para boundaries intact.

2. One single deletion, deleting both text and para boundaries.

3. One single deletion, crossing para boundaries, but for which the
encoder infers that the intention was not to delete the paragraph break.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)