[tei-council] 3 subst tickets

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 07:08:26 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-17 21:10, Martin Holmes wrote:
> Incidentally, how much of this discussion should take place in the form
> of comments on the SF tickets, and how much should be on the Council
> mailing list? I've always been confused about this.

I don't know that there can be any hard-and-fast policy on this, but as
a rule of thumb I'd say that the list is a better place for discussions
that might require a lot of back and forth and decision-making, while
the tracker is the appropriate place to record opinions, positions and
decisions for posterity, especially if such would help (a) whoever needs
to implement the decisions recorded in the ticket, and (b) anyone
revisiting this decision later trying to retrace the thinking.

So, to use the subst tickets as an example, we should note there that
Council approves the decisions of tickets 2. and 3. (he says, making a
big assumption!), and maybe only note on ticket 1. that we're surveying
community (with a link to the thread on TEI-L), and letter a note of the
outcome of this and the resultant decision.

Note also, however, that anyone not on Council will express their
opinions and arguments in Sourceforge (or perhaps TEI-L?), not this list.

Does that help?

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL