[tei-council] version without legalese

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 17 23:33:47 EDT 2011

Could we dispense with the repetition of "The TEI Council" and go with
"We" in some of the sentences? And could some of the sentences be joined
into paragraphs?

This is the sort of thing I mean:

###
= A statement from the TEI Technical Council on the recent actions of
the TEI Board of Directors =

The TEI Technical Council is shocked and saddened by the sudden actions
at the TEI Board of Directors which led to the resignation of its chair
and the implications this may have for the ability of the TEI Board of
Directors to work effectively as representatives of the TEI community.

The TEI Technical Council appreciated the willingness of the outgoing
chair to provide a vision for the TEI that could have contributed to
reforming the TEI Consortium as an organization. We believe that the
events announced by the TEI Board of Directors on 15 August 2011,
pending greater explanation, have caused real harm to the TEI
Consortium, and we wish to know the Board's plans for restoring the
Consortium's reputation and good standing in the community.

The TEI Technical Council continues to function and wants to get on with
its job of improving and openly maintaining the Guidelines and
associated systems and resources on behalf of the TEI community. We hope
that the TEI Board of Directors will consider the issues that the
outgoing chair raised as it moves forward, and we desire a greater
transparency and accountability in TEI Board of Directors activities,
notwithstanding the minutes of meetings it already publishes. We call
for reforms that introduce mechanisms to make TEI Board of Directors
activities more transparent and built on greater consultation with the
TEI community.
###