[tei-council] Statement - additional point

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Wed Aug 17 21:25:29 EDT 2011

All,

Thanks for your patience while I catch up on things.  I have
restructured the latest version James circulated to clearly separate
statements of the problem from proposed actions to be taken.  (See
http://www.governance.vt.edu/governance_instructions/resolution.html .)
  I have also changed all instances of "TEI Community" to "TEI
community", and I have adjusted punctuation as needed, but otherwise I
think the text remains unchanged, and I have no objections to it.

--Kevin

###

WHEREAS, the TEI Technical Council is shocked and saddened by the sudden
actions at the TEI Board of Directors which led to the resignation of
its chair and the implications this may have for the ability of the TEI
Board of Directors to work effectively as representatives of the TEI
community, and

WHEREAS, the TEI Technical Council appreciated the willingness of the
outgoing chair to provide a vision for the TEI that could have
contributed to reforming the TEI Consortium as an organisation, and

WHEREAS, the TEI Technical Council believes that the events announced by
the TEI Board of Directors on 15 August 2011, pending greater
explanation, have caused real harm to the TEI Consortium and wish to
know the Board's plans for restoring the Consortium's reputation and
good standing in the community, and

WHEREAS, the TEI Technical Council continues to function and wants to
get on with its job of improving and openly maintaining the Guidelines
and associated systems and resources on behalf of the TEI community,
now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, that the TEI Technical Council hopes that the TEI Board of
Directors will consider the issues that the outgoing chair raised as it
moves forward, and be it further

RESOLVED, that the TEI Technical Council desires a greater transparency
and accountability in TEI Board of Directors activities, notwithstanding
the minutes of meetings it already publishes, and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Council calls for reforms that introduce mechanisms
to make TEI Board of Directors activities more transparent and built on
greater consultation with the TEI community.