[tei-council] [TEI-L] Changes on the TEI Board (fwd)

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 05:51:42 EDT 2011

On 15/08/11 23:17, James Cummings wrote:

> www.timeanddate.com has a lovely meeting planner to solve such problems.
>
> I may not be able to make this time, I will try to reschedule a meeting.

For the record, I have rescheduled my meeting and so should now
be able to make a meeting which timeanddate.com tells me is at
14:30 London time.

Sarah's message to TEI-L said:

> We realize that this may raise more questions & concerns than it
> addresses, and we will send out a more detailed explanation to account
> for this event and to outline our plans for finding a replacement. In
> the meantime, we are working on an interim solution to stabilize the
> Board. We are continuing our conversations on this list, and will hold a
> teleconference very soon.

I'm more than happy to give the board time to sort itself out,
but feel that there definitely needs to be some explanation of
the rational behind this event. Was it Martin's letter (which is
the assumption people seem to be jumping to)? Was it something
else?  While I've heard various things unofficially, as a member
of the TEI Technical Council and the TEI Community, I've not
heard any more than Sarah's and Martin's emails.  I, and I
suspect a lot of the TEI Community, are holding our breath
waiting to find out some more details.

If I was going to give any prose to Laurent's message from
council it would include the following points:

- The TEI Technical Council wants to get on and do its job of
improving and maintaining the Guidelines and associated systems
and resources
- We are shocked and saddened by the sudden actions by the Board
- We desire the Board to be more open and transparent about its
activities and communicate with the community more regularly.
- We wish to know what plans the Board has to rescue the TEI from
the real harm to its reputation that this incident has caused
etc.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,