[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Martin Mueller martinmueller at northwestern.edu
Sun Jul 10 11:26:44 EDT 2011

Dear Raffaele,

This is very helpful, and I think I now understand what is going on.
Putting it in my words you are saying that both writing and musical
notation are symbolic systems. When you have them in the same digital
document you want them both 'transcribed' and machine actionable. Just as
the encoding of a text is algorithmically manipulable in  ways in which
the page image is not (at least not qua text), so you want the musical
bits to be algorithmically amenable.

The encoding of the musical bits may, but need not, come from within the
XML universe. That complicates the choice of the pointer mechanism that
fetches the musical bits.

Do I get this right?