[tei-council] <notatedMusic> changes required

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 12:48:55 EDT 2011

Then we're getting back to the argument that a different element than
<ptr/> is needed here. Are we just using ptr now because we haven't
invented that element yet? If so, why are we so exercised about whether
or not it has an attribute value.

Perhaps, rather than @type='transclude', which as Martin points out is a
bit odd with no @type='non-transclude' to contrast it to, we should just
call it @type='externalObject' in honour of the soon-to-be-invented element?

On 2011-07-07 17:31, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2011, at 16:15, Martin Holmes wrote:
>>
>> So why is a<ptr>  inside<notatedMusic>  different from a pointer
>> anywhere else?
>
> because the processing expectation by the man in the street is different.
> the<ptr>s in
>
> <notatedMusic>
>     <ptr target="foo.xml">
> </notatedMusic>
>
> and

> are just entirely different beasts.
>
> _Theoretically_ you are correct that the processing agent can
> decide what to do, but surely all common sense says that
> a processing agent should not have to keep special rules for
> <ptr>  to behave differently inside music? Raffaele definitely
> expects us to render the two<ptr>  above differently.
>
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Head of Information and Support Group
> Oxford University Computing Services
>
> Sólo le pido a Dios
> que el futuro no me sea indiferente

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL