[tei-council] notated music

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 05:10:00 EDT 2011

On 04/07/11 21:08, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Well, in general I'd agree, but this has been hanging around a long time
> and discommoding the MEI folks. It was discussed at the last
> council meeting, I understand?

In the minutes for the meeting:

"We agreed that an appropriate name for the proposed container
element would be <notatedMusic> and requested the Music SIG to
continue their excellent work by providing a preliminary ODD for
the new element. This is now available in the SVN repository,
along with a sample ODD embedding it; see further
http://tei.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tei/trunk/Documents/notatedMusic/
)"

http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/tcm46.xml#body.1_div.1_div.1_div.4

They provided the ODD within a few hours of being told that we
approved the element and just wanted them to produce an ODD for
us to tidy up and include in the Guidelines. While I think us
quibbling about the definition of that ODD is entirely
appropriate, I believe that we had in substance agreed to the
element and were asking them to do some of the work of creating
the ODD and prose text which we would refine before putting into
the Guidelines.

Stuart says:
 > My reservation to this is that music is not the only content
that can
 > appear in text in this manner and by crafting a solution to
fit music we
 > may be embbedding assumptions about music rather than
assumptions about
 > text.

Sure, and that is the reason for the proposed general purpose
container element. notatedMusic is just a special case of this.

 > * graphs in scientific works, which typically have both
parallel tabular
 > and graphical representation and deep-linking into the systems
which
 > generated the experimental data.

We have a whole module and chapter for graphs, networks and
trees. It is woefully underused and I'm sure that there are
possible revisions to it. But otherwise I'd view graphs as I
think you mean them as usually expressed as figures. Thus a
general purpose containing element inside figure would suit this
use-case perfectly.

 > * maps with embedded locators such as

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:EU-United_Kingdom.svg
which
 > are print-based half-way point between traditional maps and
google maps.

I'm less sure about the right solution to that (other than
embedding the SVG) but would suspect it involved figure again.

 > Having said all that, I do support getting a solution to these
issues.

I think these are all fair points and justifications for the
general purpose element. I don't think it stops us implementing
the element as requested and then take feedback from the music
encoding community and others as to whether any changes are
necessary.   We have a value for @status on things like
elementSpec of deprecated, unstable, changed, stable.

I would propose that notatedMusic be created (basically as
specified) but with a @status of 'unstable' until we create the
general purpose element which it is a syntatic sugar version.
The whole point of that value of @status was to stop development
blockages and instead flag that  "the item is new and still under
review". (Really it might be good practice to have any new
elements listed as such for one 6-month iteration if we are
continuing with biannual releases.)

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,