[tei-council] notated music

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Jul 4 11:34:24 EDT 2011

I don't want to block this, but I do think we might be doing several
things at once here. There seem to be three distinct issues:

1. The need for an <externalObject> (or whatever) which is specifically
designated as a transclusion element.

2. The need for a container element whose content elements are deemed to
be not choices exactly but somehow parallel renderings in different
formats of the same content (an image of notated music, an XML rendering
of it, an MP3 file of the music). This contrasts with <choice>, which
apparently assumes that one of its content elements will be chosen in
any given context.

3. The need for <notatedMusic>, which is semantic sugar for
<aboveContainer type="notatedMusic">.

If my understanding above is correct, then I think it would be better to
make three separate feature requests, and deal with #2 before #3. Or am
I missing something?

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)