[tei-council] Jenkins vs. SVN

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Fri Jul 1 16:09:35 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I have a possibly silly question about the relationship between the SVN
and Jenkins and, in that context, about the tcw20 doc [1]. I understand
that Jenkins takes the SVN source[2] and builds from it, and this is why
the content of Jenkins workspace[3] is different from the SVN -- is that
correct?

[1]: http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw20.xml
[2]: http://tei.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tei/trunk/P5/
[3]: http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5/ws/

The tcw20 document tells me to validate the modified source against the
p5odds.rnc schema. But that schema is missing from the SVN and present
in the Jenkins listing, so I assume that it is derived in the process of
building a distribution from the source. Is that correct, please?

And does that mean that I can't modify the Guidelines without having
previously run 'make' on the freshly updated SVN checkout, because if I
do and mess something up, I won't be able to build, and without that, I
won't be able to validate my modified source? I'm sensing a Catch-22
here, but I'm actually much more afraid that I must be seriously
misunderstanding something possibly basic -- please help. :-)

Thanks in advance!

  Piotr (going off-line soon, for a day or two)