[tei-council] Fwd: notated music

Raffaele Viglianti raffaele.viglianti at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 09:44:58 EDT 2011

Dear Lou,
> 2. you want to include as child of musicNotation many alternative
> representations of the music, some of which (in my inexpert opinion) are
> really not representations of the notated music itself, but related
> items such as performances of it, This seems to make the notatedMusic
> element more of a bibliography-like thing than a graphic-like thing.

This is correct. In the first instance, we asked for an element that
would cater for the representation of the music notation only, since
that is the domain that interests us. Perhaps because of the multi-modal
nature of music, the conversation swiftly moved to include other media,
possibly overweighting the original proposal.

> Hence, I assume, the preference for<ptr>  -- which is as Sebastian says
> -- a very general pointing mechanism, and so does not presume any
> semantics other than "over there".

We also included graphic because relying on a graphical rendition of the
notation is a standard fall-back for notational code that can't be
rendered.

Best,
Raffaele

--