[tei-council] Fwd: Some more on notatedMusic to the council

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 04:51:17 EDT 2011

On 29 Jun 2011, at 08:46, James Cummings wrote:
> If an 'embed' or similar element existed then I would be happy
> for this to be part of the content model of notatedMusic to
> include this.  My worry about having it only include this (and
> say <desc>) is that it seems an unnecessary layer when you only
> want to have one child element.  Say we only want a <ptr/> to
> some file of music representation... Do we really need to do
> notatedMusic/embed(orwhatever)/ptr? rather than just
> notatedMusic/ptr?

no, you're misunderstanding. <embed> is _instead_ of <ptr>

I do still worry about implying that <ptr> and <graphic> children
of <nuChoice> (aka musicNotation) are of the semantic similarity needed
to make them viable siblings in a choice parent.

> Completely separately to that I think that we should look at a
> semantically-neutral grouping element for embedding multiple
> representations of something with a content model including ptr,
> graphic, binaryObject, desc etc. but that discussion of this
> should be on a FR or another thread.

agreed
Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services