[tei-council] Fwd: Some more on notatedMusic to the council

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 28 14:29:37 EDT 2011

On 28 Jun 2011, at 17:40, Martin Holmes wrote:

> I'm really not sure what's intended by "transclude" here. Are you
> intending that the binary data of the video file or whatever somehow be
> injected into the TEI XML document? If so, we already have <binaryObject>:

<bO> is for when you have the binary data to hand here now, and want
it displayed here;  <graphic> is for when you want to grab it from a file and have
it displayed here. <embed> would have the same semantics as <graphic>

> But TEI isn't a format with specific set of
> rules for user-agents. If I do this:
>
> <graphic url="blah.png"/>
>
> then some external processing is inevitably involved to enact the
> "transclusion", and it may take any of a number of forms (render a
> thumbnail as a link to a full-size image, render the image, etc.).
true. but whatever the rule is, it is NOT the same as the rule for
<ptr target="blah.png"/>

> XML code can logically be transcluded, of course, and XInclude provides
> a standard way to do it. XInclude has lots of support, and it has useful
> features such as a fallback mechanism.

true. XInclude would be a solution under some circumstances. but its pretty
badly supported.
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente