[tei-council] FW: first stab at Google > TEI

Martin Mueller martinmueller at northwestern.edu
Wed Jun 22 15:52:28 EDT 2011

From:  Ranjith Unnikrishnan <ranjith at google.com>
Date:  Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:16:26 -0700
To:  Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info>
Cc:  Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>, Peter Gorman
<pgorman at library.wisc.edu>, Ram Subbaroyan <ramram at google.com>, Jon Orwant
<orwant at google.com>, Jeff Breidenbach <jbreiden at google.com>, Salim Virji
<salim at google.com>, "Timothy W. Cole" <t-cole3 at illinois.edu>
Subject:  Re: [tei-council] first stab at Google > TEI

Thank you all for the quick and detailed feedback. I've attached a newly
generated TEI file that incorporates your suggestions. Some notes on what
has changed since the previous file:

- All the validation errors reported by Sebastian have been fixed. The date
format is now corrected, the required <title> has been added to the
<imprint> field, and the <div> around the TOC has been replaced with a
type="contents" attribute on the <list>. The TEI header is populated
primarily using library metadata, as was in the last file I sent.

- All page headers and footers have been dropped. The group expressed little
interest in retaining them. Also the <fw> element raised questions in my
mind on whether something like
is acceptable TEI since the <fw> element has to be contained in the <p> tags
for the merging of paragraph text across page breaks to make sense.

- Paragraphs are now continued across page breaks (wherever we detect the
continuations from OCR output). Detecting them is probably not as easy as
footers from the first page could be incorrectly detected. This happens for
example in page 3 (index 24) where the mysterious "B2" at the bottom of the
page is detected incorrectly as a paragraph. A similar problem occurs in
page 1 (index 22) where the "B" at the bottom of the page was incorrectly
merged with the previous paragraph and so confuses our paragraph
continuation algorithm. Our paragraph continuation algorithm does look at
paragraph margins etc., but there is scope for improving it with some
separate work we're doing that focuses on better paragraph detection within
a page and uses better signals like the actual OCR text. I'll let the people
who are working on these know in case they have the cycles to work on it.
However, correcting the errors we make should be _far_ easier now.

- Hyphen-breaks at lines are now treated correctly (when we detect them from
OCR). So you should now see the words like "succes-sively" replaced with
"successively" etc.

- All <figure>-s have been dropped based on Kevin's suggestion. I really
only left them in the previous file as is because I didn't know how to treat
them. Based on your suggestions, I think it would cool to put them back at
some point with references to cropped figures from the scanned page image.
It's pretty doable.

What was left out from your suggestions are:
- Identifying and marking chapter divisions. I believe we have some signals
for this, but I don't know if we estimate or store them with the OCR output
explicitly. I'll check up on this, but concur that it is a hard problem.
- Use of a TEI validator: I feel this is really important for several
reasons, including preserving functionality of our convertor code over time.
Salim expressed interest in this and we'll discuss how to proceed and
coordinate our efforts with you in a separate thread.

Thanks again for your time. Looking forward to your next round of comments,
Ranjith

PS: Apologies if my choice of book to test on was poor. :) It was a purely
random selection. If you have suggestions of alternate public domain books
I'm happy to try and convert them and send their TEI files over.