[tei-council] [tei-board] About encouraging, supporting, and coordinating SIG's

Martin Mueller martin.mueller at mac.com
Tue Jun 21 23:35:33 EDT 2011

Susan,

If you would like to continue as SIG coordinator pending the appointment of
a successor I will be delighted. I had assumed that you wanted to get out of
this. $8,000.00 were budgeted, and are ready to be spent following customary
procedures.

Forgive me for making some skeptical observations about the three pillars of
the TEI. An organization like the TEI could work without a board, and it
could work without a formal arrangement for special interest groups. It
could not work without the maintenance and development of the standard that
is its reason for being, and it could not work without the people whose task
it is to maintain and develop that standard. In the case of the TEI that is
the Council.

I am a classicist whose work has been shaped by Aristotle's Poetics and in
particular by his observation that "plot is the soul of tragedy." So the
Council is the heart and soul of the TEI. It is the place where almost all
of the intellectual work takes place. My personal view, for what it is
worth, is that it was not a good idea to give the Board a role in making
decisions about SIGs. The original model of making the SIGs creatures of the
Council was a better model: the intellectual work of the SIGs feeds into the
Council, and the Council should make decisions about SIGS, whether directly
or through some delegation.

I am a faculty member and take a properly dim view of what boards can or
should do. The council is, so to speak, the faculty of the TEI.  The Board
should be the Council's servant and facilitator. The SIGs are children of
the Council. Nothing is more important than children, but the appropriate
parents in this case are the Council, not the Board.

I'll live with whatever decisions the Council and Board take, but I would
like to say very emphatically that in my view the Council is the heart of
the TEI and that the organizational structure should reflect this very
emphatically.

MM