[tei-council] first stab at Google > TEI

Martin Mueller martinmueller at northwestern.edu
Tue Jun 21 21:52:03 EDT 2011

Dear Ranjith,

It's great to have a first stab at a TEI version of a Google book.  I'm
taking the liberty of cc'ing the members of the TEI Council. Many of them
have a keen interest in your project succeeding, and I'm sure they'll give
you excellent advice.

I read up the file in the oXygen, which has validation built in and also
supports batch validation of whole directories. Sebastian Rahtz and other
TEI council gurus can tell you much more about validation at scale.

I don't have a view about running heads in books. I'd probably drop them
from the TEI version, but I'm sure there are ways of keeping them in some
element, which almost certainly would not be <p>.

You currently don't have a way of identifying paragraphs that begin on one
page and end on another. Working that out would be the single greatest
improvement. Tim Cole at the University of Illinois (UIUC) and a programmer
of his developed a method for merging paragraphs that span pages. I cc him
on this memo. I am sure he will be delighted to share his algorithms with
you. They were very good and made few errors.

A bigger problem and harder to solve across different books is chapter
divisions. Katrina Fenlon at UIUC worked on this and had some ingenious
regular expressions that looked for strings that identified chapter
headings. Then you put </div><div> before it, or something like it. This
works less often and requires more human intervention.

There is a very general point here about the utility of TEI versions of
Google books. People interested in a TEI version of a Google book would go
for text that they consider high-value documents (high value being very much
in the eye of the beholder).  And they might want an algorithmically created
"rough cut" version that they could then lick into shape in a matter of
hours or perhaps days, and contribute back to some archive rather in the way
in which biologists contribute genomes of this or that animal to a large and
growing gene bank. I don't imagine anybody doing this with an 1863 version
of Gullivers' Travels, but I could easily imagine somebody doing it with a
first edition of Lews Carrol's Sylvie and Bruno, or, for that matter with an
18th century edition of Swift's novel.

If such people get a text that recognizes paragraphs and can handle
page-straddling with a high degree of accuracy, the human labor of marking
chapter divisions etc. becomes affordable. If I care enough about the text,
hunting down twelve chapter divisions is a pleasant evening's work, and
modern tools like oXygen have drastically lowered the pain threshold for
working with raw XML. Fixing several hundred page breaking paragraphs is
still a big enough bore to keep you from doing it. Checking the page
breaking paragraphs and fixing the occasional one is OK.

This is the kind of calculus that fits into Clay Shirky recent book about
Cognitive Surplus and how to engage users in various kinds of digital work
that give pleasure and satisfaction to them.

Anyhow, I am absolutely delighted with your work. With a few improvements
here and there, I think it has enormous potential for creating highly
curatable "rough cuts." There are a lot of texts that it would be good to
have in this condition, and once they are in that condition I think there
will be a lot of people all over the world, ranging from ambitious high
school students to retired lawyers and similar folks, who would find it
interesting to lick such texts into something like final shape. And it would
be a great project to design a user-friendly framework that would make such
licking into shape a rewarding task.

Sincerely

Martin Mueller
Chair, TEI Board