[tei-council] licen{cs}e

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 24 18:48:13 EDT 2011

There is a long and hono{u}rable condition in the TEI of trying to avoid
spellings which are markedly either North American or British English.
Wherever possible, we prefer a non-marked synonym if one can be identified.

I am therefore appealing for help with the proposed new child element of
<availability>. If no synonym springs to the collective mind,  may I
create it as "licence"? Or do I just have to accept the cultural
hegemony implicit in adopting the spelling "license"?