[tei-council] TEI Workgroups

Brett Barney bbarney2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Apr 21 13:51:48 EDT 2011

I have nothing against split infinitives, either. I wouldn't say that *no
one* cares about them, but they're easily defensible and I'm not bothered
that people who do care about them might click their tongues. FWIW, I think
we could probably come up with a workaround that is no more ugly than the
original. Maybe something like "The main purpose of a TEI Workgroup is to
make formal recommendations that the TEI Guidelines be extended or
modified." Not advocating that language; just thinking on screen. . . . .

Brett

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info>                                                                                                |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |"tei-council at lists.village.Virginia.EDU" <tei-council at lists.village.Virginia.EDU>                                                                 |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |04/21/2011 08:16 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [tei-council] TEI Workgroups                                                                                                                  |

Thanks, Brett.  There was one more typo, which David Sewell caught
earlier and reported offline.

I'm with Martin Holmes on split infinitives.

Here's the final version for David to put at

http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Workgroups/index.xml

--K.

On 4/19/2011 8:40 PM, Martin Holmes wrote:
> On 11-04-19 04:25 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
>> no one objects to the split imfinitive in the first sentence?
>
> I don't think anyone cares about split infinitives any more. And the
> ugliness of the workarounds makes them worse than the split:
>
> "The main purpose of a TEI Workgroup is formally to recommend extensions
> or modifications to the TEI Guidelines. "
>
> Ugh.
>
>> to my simple mind the difference between a work group and a sig is
>> that the former has an explicit objective, described in a written
>> charter, which it is supposed to do, and then disband.
>>
>> a sig otoh exists as long as it wants tp go on finding things to talk
>> about
>
> Agreed on that.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>

>> from the pad
>>

>> On 19 Apr 2011, at 22:32, "Brett
>> Barney"<bbarney2 at unlnotes.unl.edu<mailto:bbarney2 at unlnotes.unl.edu>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Kevin and all,
>>
>> I noticed a couple of what I took to be typos, one inherited from the
>> existing page and one in the new prose:
>>
>> 1) "Workgroups are not the only mechanism for proposing extensions of
>> modifications to the Guidelines" should read "Workgroups are not the
>> only mechanism for proposing extensions or modifications to the
>> Guidelines"
>>
>> 2) "The following workgroups are currently under active under the
>> aegis . . . " should read "The following workgroups are currently
>> active under the aegis . . ."
>>
>> The attached file incorporates these changes, under the questionable
>> assumption that I've interpreted aright.
>>
>> Best regards, Brett
(See attached file: index.xml)